View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #122
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
There are too many factors with car prices to compare car to car if you stray from MSRP. For example, I am an evil car negotiator, if you can get to a level of doing it professionally, I am pretty close. I have been pimped out to buy cars for all family, friends and co-workers/bosses to the point where I make about 10-12 new car deals a year. I have landed some crazy things like 30-40% off MSRP. My F30 deal is not characteristic of a normal sale price either on a 2013. But it doesn't represent the car, it represents me and negotiating, that dealers stock, geography. Too much.

MSRP is straight forward and isolates the other variables and makes car to car comparisons more tolerable.

Same thing for EPA MPG. Just because I am able to average 40mpg does not mean I will tout it over Hybrids that EPA estimates to average 40mpg. Again, too many factors, my personal driving style, stop and go, highway...and on and on. EPA does scientific testing to take variables out of it again. So when an F30 gets 35 on the highway and an something else gets 30, those numbers have some meat to them.

Keyless start for me, I disarm the car long before getting in it and have the key back in my pocket, I get in the car and go. I like it. When I had an E90 loaner it felt odd to me to have this bulky key that I would insert into the dash and depress. It's what you get used to.
I guess you and I are very much alike, most of my extended family and friend take me alone when they negociate for a new car. Although I cannot say I have ever gotten a 30-40% off MSRP on a current modern year new car or year end model new car. When I was comparing the E90 to the F30, I was comparing what I can buy the car for, usually means a bit below current market value plus incentives.
The F30's keyless still make no sense to me, if I have the key out to unlock the door, its actually an extra step to put the keys back in my pocket. Comfort access is the best, but the F30's comfort access do not have door sensors in the back, which is kind of a pain too. The F30's keyless start is free, or should I say paid for in the MSRP, so I guess one cannot complain about it too much.
Appreciate 0