View Single Post
      09-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #338
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
I didn't say Long's VO needed to be changed. I said the car needed to be recoded. Right now all of the modules in his car are correctly coded except the CIC. If the car was recoded, the CIC would also become correctly coded, as the 752 option would be read and a few flags (in this case, "AUDIO_SYSTEM") in the coding data would be changed to reflect the car's configuration. However, since ISTA/P likely wouldn't even look for the CIC without that option being in the VO as well, he may need to change it after all assuming the CIC has a different option code than the CCC did. After that it would be coded as usual.

The other option is to directly code JUST the CIC, which can be done, but not at the dealer.

The FSC is a whole different battle for which I don't have an easy solution. I think you may be right, it will probably have to be ordered from the dealer. Last I checked, the thought is that the CCC (or CIC in this case) is actually given a certificate and asked to perform the validation DURING the coding, so there's no good way to "fudge" it. No easy way, at least.

As for the last part, the FSC does not control what the CIC talks to. That is the coding data. For instance, in a CCC car, whether or not you have HD radio is an option. It's called "IBOC" and if you don't have it, the flag is set to inactive. It's very easy to set this to active, but it has nothing to do with the FSC. Unless they've changed the whole coding structure with the CIC, the FSC should only be used to activate navigation and maybe SVS.
Understood, however in this particular case to recode the car requires that this CIC P/N be recognized as part of this VIN VO to then code the CIC to the car's VO. Although 609 is the code for Navigation in the VO -regardless if it is CCC or CIC- ISTA/P will not recode the car and much less that CIC because of this "strange" P/N found when going thru the module P/N verification process. So the recoding will fail not because of the VO code, but because of the P/N related to that code. The VO will have to be changed to "register" that CIC P/N into that 609 code, IMO.

That's what I don't want to do unless there are some guarantees that it will not mess something else up down the line.

There's already one documented recoding failure in the M3Post forum due to the car in question having the new controller installed with the old iDrive.

I will try to see first if by just getting these FSC I will make a new CIC to "talk" to my audio options -on top of the NAV and Voice enable- without any VO change. If what you are saying about the FSC not doing anything else but enabling the Nav and Voice ends up being correct then I will decide what to do next...
Appreciate 0