07-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
IMHO if you're looking to do anything more than DE's, then the e92 is too heavy a starting platform for a dedicated track car.

If you're looking to dual-purpose (track and occassional) street, then it works just fine.
Agreed. I use mine as a primary street, but occasional track and it is just fine. I haven't had any limp mode issues as of yet (although I'm headed up to watkins glen in 2 weeks and I expect ambient temps to be in low to mid 90's). We'll see how it holds up. My only mods are a set of track wheels/ non-rft tires all around and Hawk HP+ pads on the front. Bone stock otherwise.

I will mention that the owner of Bimmerworks (a tuning shop in West Chester, PA) just bought a 335i coupe he is converting into a race car. So far it's been gutted down to strip the inside, added a roll cage, seats, harnesses etc. I think it had PSS9s on it and some stickier non-RFT rubber when he bought it (used), and that's about it. He said it was running quite well, and he was running lap times just shy of 996 GT3s. My guess is that if you wanted to spend some $ tuning the car, it could be a competent track car. I just think you could do more for less $ with an e46 M3 or even an older 993 porsche.