View Single Post
      05-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #58
samstersam
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
the name 335 is obsolete once modifications commence, as that is the name it bears in stock form. With mods, this can become on par and eventually outpace an M3

The "real thing" is slightly overrated I'm afraid
I can't believe a fellow bimmer fanatic is saying that.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...#Story/Process

I suggest you take a look at "Facilities" and "Process" section of the videos.
Pretty much everything functional in terms of driving have been customized by the the M division. (the video states 50% of a regular bmw is completely custom made by for the M)

This isn't a Honda Civic Type R, where the Civic is just modified more powerfully and slapped on a "R" badge. The M cars are designed from regular bmw's by a complete different team of engineers and M facilities independant of normal bmw facilities : this is the Motorsport division.

Sorry, off my soapbox. I love all bimmers, but there is a reason why an M is an M. I doubt slapping on a chip and putting aftermarket suspension on a 335 is as in-depth as the 50% difference in parts and an M engineer test driving around Nurburgring with a prototype M car and criticizing it and tweaking it to make it an M....

Ok, off my soapbox. Don't mean to start another 335 v M debate..just chiming in my 2 cents...with all that said, I wish you good luck on this project..everyone has different tastes and rights to do what they want to their car to style it however they choose. If you feel you want the 335 to look like an M, hey go for it! Ii'm sure it'll come out beautifully...

Last edited by samstersam; 05-10-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0