View Single Post
      09-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #57
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
- Ok, correct me if I am wrong in this case. N55 can transfer more thermal load to the coolant in comparison to N54, correct? So wouldn't that make an radiator upgrade a better choice in this case?
I never said that and nothing I posted suggests that. The oil to water heat exchanger no longer exists, as already pointed out in this thread. US cars are Oil to air cooled now.

The 128i manual has an oil to water heat exchanger still. In that case, if you had read the thread, I've already conceded that a radiator upgrade might make way for sense for those people (hence BMW's creation of the PPk kit). Their cars do NOT come with the "hot climate" version oil to air cooler.

Those without the oil to water heat exchanger (pretty much all of us) would benefit more from an oil cooler upgrade. BMW literally has separated the oil and water cooling jackets/passages. Oil is being used as a cooling agent for the bottom end and coolant is being used the keep the head cool in order to better regulate combustion temperature for efficiency and performance purposes.

And now we are just talking in circles because this is all just a rehash of everything I've already pointed out except now you're slowly seeing my point.

Seems to me like oil temp issues got worse when BMW mitigated coolant temps issues by removing the oil to water heat exchanger. However, they failed performance drivers by only using a small 10 row oil cooler...

Last edited by bNks334; 09-02-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0