Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamics99 View Post
Update:

I pulled the rod bearings for Rods 1,2,5, and 6. 3 and 4 require me to pull the spark plugs to relieve pressure I believe. Something I should have done from the get-go.

Pictures where they are ordered from upper to lower bearing:

Rod 1:

Attachment 3210127

Rod 2:
Attachment 3210124

Rod 5:

This is dirt on the bearing due to my friend handling it with his dirty hands .
Attachment 3210125

Rod 6:
Attachment 3210126

I think Rod 2 and Rod 6 had the worst wear. By the way, all the plastic gauge results for the Rods I have pulled so far are 0.0038mm which seems nominal. There are NO marks on the crankshaft or scoring. I have run my fingers on it. It's smooth as butter but I think I caught the wear in time.

Going to see how Rod 3 and 4 come tomorrow. I will be replacing all the stretch bolts even the oil pump sprocket.

I was struggling to do the 70 degrees twice when putting on the new bolts due to being under the car and in a tight spot. I got a digital angle torque wrench that is handy and I have lubed all the new bearings with assembly lube.

I have bruised my fingers. I wish I could disconnect the subframe completely but the steering joint cannot come free. There was so much caked-up oil on the subframe I left it to soak overnight with a degreaser. The oil pan gasket is brittle. There are no flakes in the oil pan, sump, and pump.
I feel for you!! Brake clean is your friend! I hate the steering rack bolt it can be pain incoming and reattaching.
Appreciate 0