View Single Post
      07-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #73
B6T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i 6-speed

I know this thread is about E9x.... but can E8x be involved as well? I owned a Lemans Blue 6-speed 135i M-Sport and sold it to purchase a baby-compatible vehicle since we were expecting at the time.

It was a last minute decision to sell that car and keep the 986 Boxster S I also had at the time (ie track-prepped basically, but only ~260hp). I regret selling the 135, I should have sold the Boxster instead. One of the biggest ragrats of my life haha. The Boxster was a decent car but the 135 was so much more straight line fun. I ended up selling the 986 a few months later after the little one had arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I like the B8.5 S4, last generation of Audi manual supercharged V6. I've driven a tuned one and they are quick and handle relatively well, they just seem so disconnected from the road compared to the e90.

How was it to wrench on? I heard there are many things you can't access without taking the engine out?
When I was looking for another project car to fill the void in my life I was verrrrrry close to pulling the trigger on a pre-owned manual B8.5 S4, and then I realized I'm paying $30k for a vehicle which is much less of a car than the E90 335i. So I picked up a mint RWD 6-speed E90, a pretty rare spec these days, for only $7,400.

Fast forward to this year and I'm balls deep in an engine replacement due to a spun rod bearing, and looking at B8.5 S4 ads again... all while driving my Ford Focus EV and dying a little bit more inside each time I do.

In all honesty, I think the E8x and E9x cars are hard to beat in terms of value and moddability, even the non-turbo, non-M variants are great cars.

If I replaced my E9x it would be with an B8.5 S4... prices have come down... and that DCT trans is fucking awesome.
Appreciate 0