Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
I know this thread is about E9x.... but can E8x be involved as well? I owned a Lemans Blue 6-speed 135i M-Sport and sold it to purchase a baby-compatible vehicle since we were expecting at the time.

It was a last minute decision to sell that car and keep the 986 Boxster S I also had at the time (ie track-prepped basically, but only ~260hp). I regret selling the 135, I should have sold the Boxster instead. One of the biggest ragrats of my life haha. The Boxster was a decent car but the 135 was so much more straight line fun. I ended up selling the 986 a few months later after the little one had arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I like the B8.5 S4, last generation of Audi manual supercharged V6. I've driven a tuned one and they are quick and handle relatively well, they just seem so disconnected from the road compared to the e90.

How was it to wrench on? I heard there are many things you can't access without taking the engine out?
When I was looking for another project car to fill the void in my life I was verrrrrry close to pulling the trigger on a pre-owned manual B8.5 S4, and then I realized I'm paying $30k for a vehicle which is much less of a car than the E90 335i. So I picked up a mint RWD 6-speed E90, a pretty rare spec these days, for only $7,400.

Fast forward to this year and I'm balls deep in an engine replacement due to a spun rod bearing, and looking at B8.5 S4 ads again... all while driving my Ford Focus EV and dying a little bit more inside each time I do.

In all honesty, I think the E8x and E9x cars are hard to beat in terms of value and moddability, even the non-turbo, non-M variants are great cars.

If I replaced my E9x it would be with an B8.5 S4... prices have come down... and that DCT trans is fucking awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
I know this thread is about E9x.... but can E8x be involved as well? I owned a Lemans Blue 6-speed 135i M-Sport and sold it to purchase a baby-compatible vehicle since we were expecting at the time.

It was a last minute decision to sell that car and keep the 986 Boxster S I also had at the time (ie track-prepped basically, but only ~260hp). I regret selling the 135, I should have sold the Boxster instead. One of the biggest ragrats of my life haha. The Boxster was a decent car but the 135 was so much more straight line fun. I ended up selling the 986 a few months later after the little one had arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I like the B8.5 S4, last generation of Audi manual supercharged V6. I've driven a tuned one and they are quick and handle relatively well, they just seem so disconnected from the road compared to the e90.

How was it to wrench on? I heard there are many things you can't access without taking the engine out?
When I was looking for another project car to fill the void in my life I was verrrrrry close to pulling the trigger on a pre-owned manual B8.5 S4, and then I realized I'm paying $30k for a vehicle which is much less of a car than the E90 335i. So I picked up a mint RWD 6-speed E90, a pretty rare spec these days, for only $7,400.

Fast forward to this year and I'm balls deep in an engine replacement due to a spun rod bearing, and looking at B8.5 S4 ads again... all while driving my Ford Focus EV and dying a little bit more inside each time I do.

In all honesty, I think the E8x and E9x cars are hard to beat in terms of value and moddability, even the non-turbo, non-M variants are great cars.

If I replaced my E9x it would be with an B8.5 S4... prices have come down... and that DCT trans is fucking awesome.
The s4 dct is great when it is running right, see fastboasters post above
Appreciate 0