08-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #181
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
Hey toddy. thanks for the indept review and replies. Just wanted to say, I am sure we all appreciate the feedback you gave us! I am very close to pulling the trigger. The price on them has dropped further to approx $360. It's become very enticing. i had a few more questions:
I can try to answer some of your questions:

- What happens if you press any of the other idrive buttons on the android side? (for example, what happens when you press nav or CD?) I would love to remap that for shortcuts to my music player and google maps on the android side. I know you said it's not possible but while browsing these units, I think i saw some pictures that showed you CAN remap them.

I only have the menu button on my i-Drive knob, no other buttons. It's a CCC not a CIC.
I am not aware of being able to remap the buttons.

-With the GPS antenna, why is the splitter necessary? If I don't care for stock navigation, could I just directly connect it to the AHU and just say FU to the stock NAV?

Yes you can do this, but the issue some have been experiencing is it's very slow to get a GPS lock with the aftermarket antenna. The factory one may produce better results as it's mounted under the shark fin.

-with the grounding wire, where did you attach it to? I know you said it reduced noise a little bit but the location can make a big difference.

I attached my ground wire to one of the screws that attached to my glove box. That mounting point in particular is attached to the metal frame.

-If I read your post correctly, if we don't have OEM backup camera right now, we can install directly to the AHU and it'll work? I thought you couldn't get dynamic parking lines with the MT. Guess I was wrong

Yes. I had an aftermarket backup camera module. I removed it and just hooked up my aftermarket camera to this unit. The dynamic parking lines work with my 6 spd manual. I have read elsewhere that another OP could not get the dynamic parking lines to work until he installed the factory rear PDC but this was not with a AHU rather a backup camera module. YMMV.
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0