View Single Post
      08-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #186
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

OK so I installed my unit today and things didnt go well. I don't want to alarm people prematurely, I'm going to take another look at things tomorrow.

So right off the bat I cant launch anything including settings properly because as soon as anything opens it escapes to the homescreen. It's almost like the back or home button is continually pressed but the icons in the top bar dont show them as being pressed.

I'm thinking something screwy is going with the canbus readings of the idrive controller. the idrive system was a retrofit which means there is a canbus emulator for nav and the CID wiring and idrive controller wiring was spliced in by hand. However this has been working fine for a few years.

Second problem, which just happened for no apparent reason is every menu item in any menu in idrive has had the english replaced with things like _23428. So Multimedia would be _2342342. Maybe something glitchy happened and the language files arent being mapped to menu items.

I turned off the car and will see what it's like tomorrow.

Anyway stability wise, off to a bad start. I'm going to remove the retrofit harness (which will disable stock nav and the idrive controller) temporarily and test again.

Lastly, I think the glare on this thing is underplayed. If I can get the unit working I'm going to keep it because I really want the future proofing that it provides. But I think the level of glare is pretty unacceptable. I expect it to be a problem under certain conditions.
Appreciate 0