View Single Post
      12-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #147
usi227
Rep
Drives: N53

Some tips for anyone attempting this difficult DIY. Big thanks to the creator for this otherwise I would be 1.5k down at the BMW dealership.

The pinch bolt was on so incredibly tight there was no way I could access it via the inside of the driver's footwell as mentioned in the steps. I removed the pollen filter and scuttle panel and went in via the engine bay (the bolt is located on the drivers side just to the left of the engine cover as you look at it. This is much easier, especially if your wheels are locked straight and won't turn when jacked up. I used a 1/2 inch drive socket with a long extension and E10 socket. The bolt is just about visible on the 6 cylinder E9x.

With the locking mechanism, I removed it entirely. For the stress of getting the column out, to me its not worth cleaning and regreasing as I really don't want to be removing this ever again if it decides to fail once more. I drilled out the locking mechanism as someone else said above, you need to drill a small hole above where the mechanism pin sits and then tap it out with a screwdriver and hammer, I just removed the whole mechanism and didn't bother putting the cover back on as there weren't any electrics/mechanism left!

I bought an emulator online (just type BMW ELV emulator into google and take your pick) and plugged it into the steering column ELV connector that was previously attached to the column.

When you put the column back in, align it properly and have a friend help guide it in by looking at the engine bay side, you can reach into the engine bay (its tight) and adjust the female end. There is one thick spine and it only goes in one way so take your time and be patient. The thick spine should be just left (as you look at the engine bay) of center so make sure the thick end of the spindle is slightly off center to match. You really need 2 people for this bit. The spindle doesn't go all the way into the female end but has a semi circular cut out where the pinch bolt sits, once aligned you can screw the bolt back in - I used some PTFE tape to stop the bolt from falling out of my socket and being lost in the engine bay.

I did the job in December in the freezing cold and it was tough but I had no choice as the car wouldn't start due to the lock and I refused to spend 1.5k or pay a mechanic to fix this stupid problem.

Hopefully the description helps someone attempting this. Give yourself a day to be safe. It's no fun lying on your back in the driver's footwell in the freezing cold with poor visibility. Get a good light to help you.

Thanks BMW for allowing the lock to fail closed as opposed to open rendering the car inoperable.

Last edited by usi227; 12-11-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0