United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska330xi View Post
Great guide!

One thing you may want to expand on if not already mentioned, is on the DIYs for VCG and OPG on the N52. Although parts are about that price, they aren't a walk in the park repair especially for someone just getting into one of the cars. And they will fail, on all cars. Coming in blind and seeing 100 bucks seems great but there is a barrier to entry.
I mostly agree. I recently did the VCG, and if i didn't find this crazy detailed youtube DIY, i wouldn't have attempted it. I don't know if i'll diy the oil pan gasket when the time comes, it looks really involved. Still though, there is so much DIY n52 content, it really pays off for simpler stuff. After understanding the pricing of bmw labor dealer/independent alike, it's a real motivator to DIY. Stuff like, plugs, OFHG, battery, air filter, shocks/struts, brake rotors/pads, fluid changes have so many good DIY's.
Yea we probably found the same YouTube video! Was it the guy that cut a cm off from the excess white electronics box to clear the cover? That really made a difference for me if so. And agreed, the vast diy for BMW is superior to most other manufacturers. Save for Porsche and other enthusiast brands. My wife has a CRV that I like to find DIY for and although they have a good community, there isn't anywhere near the same technical volume. Probably helps that most things are reasonable at a dealer, and go wrong less

DIY: Charcoal Delete, K
Appreciate 0