Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Excellent post OP! Very impressive. I probably should have read it before buying my 2007 E93 328i.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Are there caveats or things to watch out for when looking at older cabriolets? I'm sure there must be, and it might be nice to list some in your post. One that pops into my head right away is the motorized glovebox door, which apparently fails with alarming frequency.

2) I specifically wanted a 328i for the N52 motor. My 2007 Z4 3.0si coupe has the 255HP flavor of that motor and I absolutely adore it. However the car I bought has the N51, which based on my research is a SULEV'd N52. It's still the happy revvy motor I was looking for, but is it less reliable than the N52? Any special good/bad features? Is it worth differentiating the two in your post?

Thanks all for the compiled knowledge found here. I've already fixed my glovebox door.
I know some owners have had issues with the sensors that allow the roof to close. The cabriolet will have more things to break on it. The N51 is a N52 with more emissions crap on it. It has significantly more expensive parts like the fuel pump which requires the entire fuel tank to be replaced. If you are in Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and DC; you are covered by a 15 year, 150,000 mile warranty on SULEV components.

I want to add more information into the guide but I have been very busy with university work.
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00