View Single Post
      12-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Markoss96
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Your battery may be old and your vehicle may benefit by replacement but I'd be very surprised if a weak battery is responsible for this highly specific set of errors.

The heart of your problem is clearly a persistent BSD (bit serial device) bus fault:
2e7c - BSD line fault
2e83 - coolant pump reduced power
2e84 - coolant pump missing
2e8B - IBS missing
2e8e - IBS, interference on BSD bus
2e98 - alternator missing

Although the DME sometimes has control of the water pump (i.e. purge sequence can be activated), my guess is that pump is still not being controlled properly and that accounts for the overheat. The 2e83 code is informative here: the pump is reporting low power operation mode i.e. it's not going to move enough coolant when the engine has a significant load.

This looks like an intermittent BSD issue to me for two reasons: first, the coolant pump purge can be activated which requires DME communication. Second, you never seem to register an oil sensor fault - the oil level/condition sensor is the remaining device on the BSD bus. Since (I believe) level checking itself is episodic, I'm guessing that the BSD fault has not yet been present when level is checked.

It might be useful to evaluate the patency of the BSD bus wires using a DVM. This is easy to do if you have ISTA or newtis access to obtain wiring diagrams and pinouts for the various components and costs nothing. If you don't have access, post your VIN and I can provide diagrams.

Not clear to me what you mean by "computer". If you mean the DME then no. The water pump itself has a built-in controller with a default program for when BSD input is not available but in the absence of a functioning BSD bus the DME cannot control it. The fact that the OP can activate the purge sequence means that communication between DME and water pump is present sometimes which makes me think about intermittent electrical connections

FIXED FINALLY!! The ground wire for the water pump/tstat was loose as hell on the front of the engine! Took it off cleaned it all up put it back on BINGO! £800 On & it was a damn ground wire! This is why we love n54s! BTW thanks for both of your help really appreciate it. These cars take a joint effort at times especially with these little niggly bits. now to enjoy the NEWYEAR! Have a good one people!
Appreciate 0