View Single Post
      01-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #145
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Yeah I dunno, I have replaced plastic reservoirs on many vehicles and on Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas, etc, the plastic reservoirs failing prematurely is a common issue. On my RX-8 it was a common issue and so there are a couple of aluminum aftermarket options to replace the plastic one that work well. I made my own using a modified Canton aluminum reservoir and it worked perfectly for years. But the BMW res is only $50.00 and takes 5 minutes to swap out. The parts guy at a BMW dealer doesn't know shit really so that is just his opinion. But in my experience the oil filter housing gasket failing is typically a higher mileage issue and well, shit happens, every engine has it's things that are problematic. But again the OFHG job is simple and the parts are cheap.

As for BMW planning for these parts to fail prematurely, well I can't believe that since many were under warranty until 100k. The HPFP was addressed as BMW extended the warranty to 10 years or 120k IIRC. I'm not sure if that applied to the N55 cars using the same HPHP though.

As for safety, I don't think the HPFP failing is a safety concern really.