Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot
OKAY. So, I have had these headers for a few months now and I keep hear/seeing posts asking about N52 headers other than AA or headers with cats. So, as suggested, rather than keep posting in different threads, I'm going to put everything up here.

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with AFE, I am NOT a mechanic. I am a computer science major so any claims or theories put out here should be taken with a grain of salt. Furthermore, if this violates any forum rules, please edit and do no delete or let me know my errors and I will rectify ASAP.

Engine/Car:

2009, AT 328i N52.

Modifications PRIOR to Headers (engine/performance):

Dinan catback exhaust
Dinan ram intake
Secondary cat delete
RPI intake scoops
BMS powerbox (which was replaced, more below).

Storyline:

So, much like many of you, I grew bored with the N52 powerband. Upon many months of research (and as AA was releasing their catless header) I decided that emissions issues and CEL would just drive me nuts. For a DD, I do not need to jump through hoops to pass emissions. I research AFE as a company as a hole and then specifically their headers with high flow cats.

Based on the research and their power claims - not to mention I would pass emissions, I hit the buy now button. I would never look back from time period again.

Here is the details on their website: http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...artno=48-36307

The thing that sold me was not only emissions being a cake walk, but their dyno graph:

The above image is provided by AFE and NOT my own dyno*

So, about ten days later, these beauties come in the mail:

First off, let me stop by address the build quality. Top. Notch. The welds were almost a work of art, the bends made engineering and logical airflow sense and they weighed 12lbs lighter than OEM headers/manifold even considering they had high flow cats installed.

Note the flanges, the thickness was something that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside because to me, that indicates a proper build process and they did not get lazy on items. It spoke very highly to me, yes, these small things really matter and you should really pay attention to some products you buy, won't mention names here, but you get the point. (No, no - not AA, a more 'generic' reseller).

I looked up DIY, I forget his username, but he has the 130i had an awesome (I believe it was you) thread. Being mechanically disabled, I opted to have a shop install them. It was about 5 hours shop time, so that would mean 5 weeks my time. No regrets there, ego hurt but I'll recover.

Back on track, I literally just kept my phone at my desk and kept looking at it praying the shop would call and say, all good - come pick up. Finally, they did. I left work early and bailed out to see my sleeping beauty.

Results:

The results were very impression. From the initial start, the car sounded WAY more aggressive, slight rasp, yes - I will not lie, but I think that's due to any header system in an inline 6 engine. The cold start idle literally sounded like a V8 'camming'.

I put about 100 miles on the headers and watched as they went from a silver metallic stainless to a nice golden color from the heat, which I find beautiful:

It's just so, so pretty to me

So, a few more miles later, I had the dyno itch craving. Well, maybe buyers remorse in a way. "What the hell did you do, Josh? This is a few mortgage payments, this is an LSD, this is ___________" I needed a dyno to be assured I had made the right choice. So, called up the shop and did my first dyno in my BMW. The results, I would say, are very impressive. I instanatly stopped crying over lost money and started to plot new upgrades, a 330 manifold and tune.

Here is the dyno with ONLY afe headers, intake scoop dinan intake, 2nd cat delete and dinan catback (all of which, minus headers offer substantial gains IMHO)

I was very, very, very impressive with the gains over stock. I was so excited.

Now, I knew I had to do more. So, from there, I took off the BMS power box tune and installed a 330 intake manifold then purchased a proper tune from AA. Both of those items are NOT in the dyno and I am currently pending a NEW dyno next week.

Sound clips or GTFO you say? As you wish. Below is a video of my car with ALL mentioned mods, you can get an idea of the rasp, which I mostly contribute to the 2nd cat delete, but I enjoy it and it is very loud (SIC).

This was a warm start and I wish I had audio from a non stationary situation, but at this time it is all I have. I am hoping to be around the 250whp mark with the current final mods.

So, all in all - if you're worried about AA's catless headers like I was, this is a very viable option that offers some amazing improvements as well as audible enhancements.

There you guys go.

Any questions/comments/concerns - please post. I'll be glad to help answer any questions.
How's the headers??? Any updates, sound changes etc??
Only changes came when I killed the secondary cats. Thus far, very happy.