View Single Post
      01-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #105
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

DWR A while back hotrod182 showed what methanol could do. He was squirting about 120Hp (not in a manner I would want to emulate), by my calculation. Though I'm not sure he was combusting all 120Hp, as I don't think there was enough excess air with the small pressure increase he was seeing. For you, with only 1.3 pounds of excess air (16-14.7) for methanol combustion. Methanol's ~ 6:1 AFR is going to allow you about 11% more power. 400 cc/min methanol is ~ 40Hp. I think that puts you right on the money.

TDIwyse Hmm, I've been using this calculator (http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossa...calc.shtml)and I've found it to agree very well with stock settings, and then how my 1/4 mile times have progressed with various mods. My experience, and this calculator, would indicate your power levels estimates are on the low side. Also including an example impact to IAT's with and without H2O/meth injection (nozzle was ~6 inches before the IAT sensor)

Yep, completely familiar with that calculator. It is pretty good. I was just calculating the Hp due to methanol combustion. As I said, the thermodynamic effects are much harder, so I did not attempt - have to make too many assumptions. What I really like is the author is up front that you can't really figure how much cooling water will give if you don't know the relative humidity of air, etc. That calculator will let you dump too much H2O and cool below the RH, not going to happen. Again, I bet it works great for you because you've size the sysyem appropriately. So, my guess with thermodynamics might double the figure I quoted.
Appreciate 0