03-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #98
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Okay here is the deal. It took me and my Chinese co-worker and Google Translator APP a few minutes to figure out the parking mode.

The CYHY App itself has good detailed instructions but it is all in Chinese. So you will have to translate it like we did (I am working on typing up a translated instruction manual to help people buying this kit).

So this is what we got:

The CYHY camera is capable of the PARKING MODE - meaning the camera can come on while the car is parked and off and motion is detected.

The kicker is this mode ONLY works when you wire the camera's power to the fuse panel or wire the camera's power to a always on source in the car.

It will not work via the plug and play harness.

We are still unsure but it appears that you can possible modify the camera via the app to be ON all the time or turn on via the app on your phone or tablet once it is in wifi range with the camera. That part of the Chinese gets complicated to translate but it seems they are saying the camera can be turned on to record from outside the car thru wifi.

Now as for the PLUG and PLAY harness when the car is turned off the camera stays on and keeps recording for a minute or two unless you manually power it off by pressing the power button on the side of the camera. In my video towards the end you see the camera still recording to my iPad after the car is turned off.

In regards to this I do not think this is a function of the camera but rather the E90 power off fade out feature like where the P light on your Steptronic Shifter plate stays on after you lock up and walk away from the car.

So I think with the harness the camera still tried to keep recording until the final power in the car is killed.

Now this obvious suggest that you can easily have the camera record well past locking and turning off the car since things like dome lighting and the dash ambient lighting can remain on (an kill the battery) long after you leave the car locked.

As for me a dash cam while driving is all I need. A security camera set up outside the car, I think, would be better for parking surveillance.

I would look into modified small drone long-life recording camera (spy) technology.
Where you can fly the small drone and hang it off a tree or roof and point the camera at the car and either stream or loop record the video of your parked car
Thanks for confirming that the motion detection will power ON the camera when supplied with constant power. I think I will just buy this unit, run the power from fusebox(unless I can find a constant ON lead in the headliner) and have power magic pro to shut down the power when it reaches a threshold.
Drone and security camera are good choices, but living in an apartment really minimizes my options. I have had a case when my neighbour hit my car(front fender) and flat out denied although I showed the paint transfer from my car to her pathfinder bumper. Hence the need for motion detection
Appreciate 1
delmarco494.00