02-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #121
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
In all reality, I only got out on the track twice with my 335i...I just got it in July. I had a 350z that I did apx 6 track days/year. I'll probably only get out 5-6 times this next summer, depending on my job situation. It might seem like I'm 'prepping' my car for serious track duty, but I'm actually just a bored college student with a nice garage, the school's machine shop, and 4 mech. engineers as roomates....so doing all this is just something to do, haha.

As for developing a track car, I've contemplated that many times as well. I'd say if you have th money and time, go for it! It's all about how much you want to put into it. You can go to a phenomonal track every weekend if you want, but then again, it all comes down to what you want to do. I personally am just doing some track days for fun, but if/when I get a well-paying job I'll try to do more.
Everyone I talk to speaks highly of an E46 M3 for a great all-around track car. You don't have to put too much money into it, and it will be very reliable.
The only tracks I've been to (with my own car) have been BIR, Road America and Autobahn Country Club. They're about 2,4,and 7 hours away from the Twin Cities, respectively.

I'm kinda of in the same boat, I'm bored and need something to do, but also would like to have some fun with the car. I don't want to sink a large amount of money into it, so the E46 M3s would be more than I would want to spend, an E36 might be more suitable. I can't go to crazy either given it would need to get me reliably to and from the track.

How does Brainerd compare to the WI tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan View Post
someone should buy my M5
Have you any plans for a replacement vehicle?
Appreciate 0