View Single Post
      04-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #231
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
A couple of new clues as I try to figure out why my new engine sounds different...

First clue: I put in a bottle of Techron injector cleaner and the V8 lumpiness seems to have faded about 50-75%. I really hope I'm not being placebo-tricked, but I swear it sounds way better now. But it still doesn't sound 100% like my original engine.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I could swap out my injectors for my old known good injectors since the Techron cleaner seemed to make a difference. I could try a different set of coils. I could ignore it completely. We'll see, not sure what I'll do yet.
Wow! I can't believe I just found this post. I just got caught up and I'm pretty impressed with how well you documented all your work.

Have you ever figured out this lumpy sound?

I don't have the 3 stage intake manifold, however I have that "boxer engine" sound but only when cold and during acceleration. Once it's warmed up it goes away. It's not a very lumpy rough feeling, but it's definitely not as smooth as after it's all warmed up. I installed six new plugs and six new Bosch coils, and put 10K miles on them now, but that didn't make any difference.

I had been thinking a stuck ring and reduction of compression in a cylinder, or a possible injector issue. I haven't tried Techron but added a can of B12 chemtool and that didn't make any difference. As far as I can tell the fuel system is fine, no codes or other errors, no leaks, etc. but short of removing and cleaning the injectors I have no way to confirm. Also my idle is pretty buzzy, not rough like the misfire when I had a bad coil, but it makes the interior pieces rattle and it is isn't smooth. I wonder if that's related?
Appreciate 0