View Single Post
      05-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

DubVBenz, the last of the pre-Blutec CDI's are very nice cars...I almost bought a 2006 E320 CDI back on '08, but then the 335d popped up into the market and I waited the year to get the D. As other 335d owners have noted, although both cars are very nice vehicles in their own rights, the 335d is most definitely sports-oriented. E90s aren't particularly bad on electrics, and I have had no issue with my D less a replacement of the steering wheel heater switch. Regarding the engine, the M57 is a very mature powerplant. It's Bosch CP3.2+ common-rail fuel pump is an industry leader in reliability, very similar to those used by many automotive and light truck diesels around the world (in North America the Cummins ISB 6.7, Chevy Duramax, Ford Powerstroke 6.6 diesels all use the CP3 with nary a hiccup...very reliable over 100,000's of miles). I can't comment on the long-term reliability of the ZF 6HP26TU/28 personally other than to say it as well is a mature transmission, used in many vehicles worldwide. I have 52,000km on mine and it shifts just as smoothly now as the first day I got the vehicle.

If you like the sportier performance, both acceleration and handling, then I am sure you would like the 335d. Having had previous BMWs, all with the Sports packages, I would not get any BMW without it. The sports package, while having a firmer ride, makes for a tremendous driving experience. As well, the sports seats that come with the package are known to be some of the most comfortable seats in a mid-scale premium vehicle.

Regarding performance, Burger Tuning has the JBD tuning box which increases HP into the 300hp region and torque into the 500ft-lbs range, so you wouldn't be wanting for much more performance than that, as you are now driving a low-5 second 0-60/~11s 1/4mi car that still yields 40+ mpg on the highway driven conservatively.

Regards
D.

Last edited by DnA Diesel; 10-22-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0