View Single Post
      08-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
'___'
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
Flow should be scavenge stages, air/oil separator stage,(cooler option1), swirl pot/storage tank, feed line, supply pump, remote filter, (cooler option2), Supply to motor in bottom of pan/turbo/oil squirters in valve cover.

The PCV needs to be eliminated to run that much vacuum. We should size the pump on the large side and use a vacuum breaker. Because we eliminate the pcv recovery oiling a few oil squirters should be added to the valve cover. Filter block off just eliminates the oil filter on top of the motor.

I'm glad someone else is interested enough to be serious about this.

Edit: I realized I didn't really answer the sizing question. I haven't really seen any equations. But the pump should be sized for the total flow of oil required for the motor + the air volume to achieve required vacuum. Boosted motors have more leakage so require more stages.
That MIT paper was a decent read. So, my take away so far is:

1) Make sure the scavenge pump(s) are able to out flow the supply pump and just run a check valve set at the desired crankcase vacuum.

2) Make sure passages between dry sump pan for scavenging collect oil from all areas that see oil in driving conditions.

3) laser cutting a thin piece of sheet metal to verify the bolt pattern will be helpful.

Now for questions...

How do you determine line size? 10,12,16 AN?
How would you add oil squirters to a valve cover?
Does the N54 already have a windage baffle?
Does the N54 have wrist pin squirters?

That's about all I have at the moment. Chris mailed me his old non oil cooler oil filter housing. Hopefully, I can have that scanned this week and get started on a block off plate for that that will still utilize the factory radiator hose connection. I should probably look into some other OEM upper radiator hoses too for length options...
Appreciate 0