05-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #558
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaManjango View Post
I work as a Senior Systems Engineer for a Government Agency in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
+100

Mike Rowe is a great advocate of technical schools and the non-college route. The public at large have sold on the racket of "gotta go to college to have a good job".

I would also add that while technical skills are necessary and needed (I'm a biomedical engineer w/two undergrad degrees), it's the "soft skills" and real world experience that really set people apart.

Out of the three of us that interviewed for my current job position, the other two had more advanced degrees. It was my life/career experience and people skills that led to my success after retiring from the military (with over 20 years of global experience in clinical & research laboratory fields).

Experience & preparation wins every time.
I'm sure your Veteran Status didn't hurt too, the Govt. values that almost more than a degree.
True, the government does favor Veteran experience, but my post-military career is with a civilian company.

While I am thankful for Uncle Sam's blessings, I was ready to give the civilian marketplace a fair shake.
Appreciate 0