Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2011 335xi

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe
There is currently one known _TRUE_ DP fix for N55 cars, and it's the "io2" made by Area 74 and it costs about $60. It's similar to the N54 DP fix, but operates in a slightly different way. To be honest, I'm surprised the N54 DP fix even works considering how simple the circuit is, but I digress...

Cobb can disable the code (on cars that support Cobb), which is good enough for some states (those of which allow for 1 NOT-READY monitor), but some states will still fail you. Cobb could have easily done a true fix, but they're a big enough company where they can't risk getting in trouble for that.

If you are interested in that simulator, I suggest you pick one up sooner rather than later. They're highly illegal and the vendors tend to "dissapear" after a while.

The government doesn't crack down on catless downpipes as hard because they assume that people who install them wouldn't pass inspection. If you have a way to defeat the inspection process, that's a big deal for them.

I've heard of situations where police will set up little stations on the side of the road that have sniffers. As cars drive by, they can detect the gasses that are present on cars that don't have catalytic converters. I've never seen this personally, and it sounds kind of crazy, but this is why I've decided to keep the cat on my car. It wasn't worth it to me to risk the huge fine just to gain 10whp. To each their own though.

[EDIT] Also, there's one other fix, but it involves a modification to the ECU's code similar to Cobb, but is done by other companies. This usually requires you to remove the ECU and send it to them. This is more common in Europe than it is here.
Not sure about the niece you mention where cobb will pass in states allowing 1 not ready monitor. That was exactly my situation. The Cat and O2 monitors were both not ready and I think that'll be the case for anyone who uses a catless DP will it not.