View Single Post
      12-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #30
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Just did this on my 2007 E92 335i 6MT. Alot easier than i thought

For me, might be different for 6AT or xdrive not sure.

All i did was remove vacuum canisters. Unplug vacuum lines from canisters and tuck to the side.

Unbolt coolant reservoir(10mm x 2), unplug coolant level sensor(bottom of reservoir) and pull out of its spot. Push the tank gently forward and toward the DS slightly out of the way. Basically in the location where the vacuum tanks would be. I could get the tank to stay in place so I used a small bungee cord to gently pull the tank to the DS and keep it out of the way.

Pulled all wires out of harness talked about in this DIY. Pushed to the side. Theres 3 wires and one vacuum line. So 4 lines total for me.

Now for the vacuum line going to the front boost solenoid... What i did was pull the vacuum line out of the forward facing nipple, on the "T" directly above the front boost control solenoid. You will see what im talking about when you see it.

This gives you enough slack in the front wastegate vacuum line located in the bracket to pull it out of the bracket and out of the way.

Now everything is out of the way and clear to work.

I did not find it necessary to remove the bracket specified using a E8 bolt. And i did this all from above. No need to remove the wheel or fender liner. For me at least.

Then i used a T40 socket like described above and a short 3/8 drive extension(3") and a ratchet. Unscrewed both vanos check valve filters and removed from cylinder head.

To my suprise they were spotless. Now looking at them. I came to the conclusion that for some reason they were replaced already. I bought the car about 2 years ago from the 2nd owner ans it was dealer serviced its whole life and now currently at 126k miles. Since ive had it, ive regualrly changed the oil at 4-5k miles with Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula synthetic only and a Mann oil filter(oem bmw).

Ive put about 20k miles on the car since i got it and its my weekend car and i usually drive it in the twistys with some spirited driving. Engine is stock except for K&N drop in air filter and JB4, now MHD stage 1 ecu flash.

So i know 20k miles isnt a ton of miles but to me it shows that regular oil changes will keep these filters clean. Im going to check them again in a year when i have more mods like inlets, fmic, dp's, and E85 blend again.

I recommend anyone with over 80k miles to check and/or replace these because ive seen some pics of some nastyy clogged up vanos filters. Im sure this effects the vanos solenoids and engine performance and efficiency as well.

Good luck and take your time!

Anthony G
Appreciate 0