View Single Post
      06-25-2018, 04:17 AM   #1
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Poor power and upshifts - MHD Log advice sought.

Hello,

It has been suggested by another member here that I post a separate thread on some issues I've had with my 35i / N54 (DCT) after a dealer replaced all injectors and the water pump on my car.

The car has been owned by myself for nearly 8 years so I know it well. It has driven fine up until an occasional cold start misfire occurred in late summer 2017. Car is stock, no mods.

I booked the car in for diagnosis with the local dealer and on the day I drove the car to them, around 1 mile from the dealership the car started to slow on the motorway and an amber 'overheating, drive moderately' error came up on the idrive.

I lowered my speed for around a minute and then pulled over as the car continued to slow. I shut off the car, waited 15-20 mins and restarted. Full power returned oil temps remained normal.

Around 1/3 of a mile from the dealership, the amber fault returned and I limped the car into the dealership car park. Just as I shut off the engine, the screen went red and stated I should turn off the engine (I'd just done that).

I left the car with the dealer, they diagnosed the need for six new injectors to cure the misfire and a new water pump to resolve the overheating.

When I got the car back, on the return trip all seemed well.

The next day (and subsequent weeks) showed weird upshifts (lumpy/snatchy) and poor power delivery at normal driving speeds. Shifting into too high a gear/bogging and other oddities.

At the time I thought perhaps they'd reset adaptations and I gave it a month or two of driving before taking it back to the dealer as I wasn't happy, nothing was improving.

Over several months the car has gone back and forth to the dealer, they found an EGR issue and replaced a pipe, they found a leak in the rocker cover and replaced that (£££).

Nothing improved the situation until very recently I put in 99RON (rather than 95RON as usual) fuel where the car felt much more responsive, but the shifting issues remained along with inconsistent power delivery.

A final attempt with the dealer was to no result (seems fine to us, there's no codes).

I've now invested in the MHD logger and attach a number of logs below. I'm told in the other thread that there's some weird timing, lambda and fuelling mode events, but my knowledge of how this all works is limited.

I'd be obliged if any of you with knowledge of this engine, coupled with a DCT could review the logs and give me your thoughts.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 06-25-2018 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0