12-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #229
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I'm not even sure if I'd want to swap out the tires for a higher grip compound. I'd have more fun with the lower limit, progressively sliding OEM kicks in most situations. If I owned this car, the tires would only be swapped out for a stickier set if I went at the engine and brakes to keep everything in line.

In the few years that I've owned my E92, I honestly had more fun in my hooning situations when I tried out the not-so-high-performance General Exclaim UHPs; getting the tail out required very little throttle and the speeds that it took place were far more sane than what the stock tires allow. The lack of grip did present some safety hazards and became occasionally frustrating, however.
I do agree, I went to progressively more and more grippy tires on my old Miata and while it made for better track times, it was less fun to daily drive with each improvement in tires. It takes a certain amount of bravery and belief in your product to knowingly offer it with sub standard parts that will hurt it in magazine and paper tests, but make it more enjoyable to the actual owners.
Appreciate 0