View Single Post
      01-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
tokenize
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

BMW E90 Warm Start Issue - I am desperate

Hello there.

I'm currently experiencing an issue on my BMW E90 320i with the N46 engine which is leading me into desperation. I've tried and replaced everything I could think of but I still get the issue and I'm hoping anyone might be able to help.

So the car was burning oil in the combustion chamber and I decided to remove the cylinder head in order to replace the valve stem seals. Since I was on it, I took the chance to replace the timing chain kit as well. The procedure went really well and after putting everything together the car was running great and I was pretty pleased with the results. Never had the car running so smooth. However, I started to notice that, when I start the engine after it has warmed to operating temperature, most of the time it struggles a lot to start. Eventually it starts and it runs as if nothing happened from there. If I stop the engine and start it again immediately it starts without any problem. The issue only happens after the engine has been stopped for more than 10 minutes or so. Cold starts have no issue at all.

In an effort to solve the issue I've already done the following (all new parts are OEM):
- New battery
- New starter motor (old one was very worn and I replaced it before this issue anyway even though it worked fine)
- New crankshaft positioning sensor
- New camshaft positioning sensors
- New MAF sensor
- New engine temperature sensors (both thermostat and engine block)
- New fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump
- Cleaned the fuel injectors in a specialized fuel injection company
- Rechecked engine timing like 5 times to ensure I did everything right, but it always comes as 100% correct

Nothing has fixed the problem so far or had an effect on the problem at all. I'm really stunned by this. The car runs perfectly fine besides this issue. I have no DME error codes, the car has normal power and runs smooth as ever. I really have no clue what could cause the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best

Last edited by tokenize; 01-09-2021 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0