View Single Post
      01-22-2022, 08:08 PM   #2
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Ok, I am ptpending's test Guinea pig. I recently purchased his alarm kit for non prewired cars. So this will take a few days to put together for you as I really just started the install.

First, this is not the first part or "kit" I have purchased from him. First one was a complete Individual Audio set for my 335i and just like before, packaging and shipping was top notch.

As the alarm is going into my wife's 2011 328i there were a few items additional I needed to purchase (no fault of ptpending)

I had to order a rear light housing because in her model BMW decided not to perforate the slots for the ultrasonic sensors. Funny that the clips for the sensor where there. I could have dremeled them open but I found the correct housing with the sensor already installed for around $20.

Next was another rear view mirror, the one I received from him did not have the homelink which my wife's car has stock. Homelink mirror with compas and clown nose ran me about $50.

Now to get to the nitty gritty, the kit came with every factory wire associated with the alarm. Hood sensor, siren, ultrasonic sensor.

I popped the rear light down, popped the front control unit down and pulled the sunroof rubber trim and ran the harness from the ultrasonic sensor to the x14289 connector in the roof control center (located in the front roof light housing)
I had to swap 5 pins from the supplied x14289 connector to the factory x14289 connector, easy, a pick tool makes quick work of the pin release and they simply slide into the factory connector in the same locations.

Next was the mirror it self, I pulled off the mirror trim and disconnected the wire harness and gave the mirror a quarter turn and it released. The kit came with a single wire. This wire goes from the mirror x14292 connector to the x14288 connector at the roof control center. I fed it through the factory mirror grommet and plugged it into both connectors. This wire is the primary wire for the clown nose led.

So far this is where I have stopped, after putting everything back together.
At this point, no the clown nose does not function and my compass is non functional but I have not taken the car for a test drive and I could have just got a dud mirror with a dead compass. I know the clown nose will not function without coding so no worries.

Still to do,
-run the cable from the drivers side rear fender well to the junction box, ground and roof control unit and install the siren.
-run the cable from the hood switch to ground and the CAS and pop the switch in.
-code the car.

I have a few pics of the parts and connections that I will post up at a later date and if anyone wishes pics of any specific part of the install I will see what I can do.

So far recommended tools, t15 torx driver, small pick tool, a good light and nothing else needed yet.

I also highly recommend if you have an android device, download WDS Android for all of the schematics and connector locations.

I will probably need a 10mm later for the siren install and maybe a 8mm for the interior.

More to come but please have patience, I don't have the time to accomplish this all at once.

David
Interesting, always wanted to add the alarm to my non-prewired car. Mostly just to add the chirp when you lock the car to be honest but having an actual alarm would be nice also. My rear view mirror has the clown nose on it already, I wonder if the LED is in there there or its just a "dummy". Install sounds strait forward, wish I would have have known about this when I did my stereo as I had the whole interior out.
Appreciate 0