View Single Post
      11-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #144
jtaliene92
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckman View Post
My 2012 E93 broke its ELV some weeks ago, in an opened position. I think the E90 models changed though over the years, it's still called E9x but these models got the dreaded ELV in the steering column designed back in, with the same issues as the older that was referenced in the start of this thread.

So, it's currently at the BMW dealer who says its out of warranty, and their "fix" is to replace the whole steering column (as before...) and they want more than $2000 for this.

Aside from the obvious annoyance that BMW keeps doing these shitty designs with the expensive fixes, does anyone know in what way these newer E90 models are different from the one in the OP in this thread?

I'm considering getting one of those 4-pin ELV emulators just to get it working so I can drive it from the BMW dealer to an indie who could just swap the steering column to a used one or actually fix the lock.

I'm also trying to get BMW to handle it out of goodwill as this issue seems like a super-common thing and is simply based on low quality / bad design from their part, but I don't have any high hopes.
Good luck trying to get BMW to pay for it, I tried that and they wont even recognize that its a bad design.
Appreciate 0