View Single Post
      11-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #145
wreckman
Rep
Drives: 325i E93 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaliene92 View Post
Good luck trying to get BMW to pay for it, I tried that and they wont even recognize that its a bad design.
Actually BMW Sweden told me they would cover it on goodwill if the local BMW representative agreed. They were the ones who suggested I should call them. But then they screwed it up somehow, so now they won't pay for it..

Anyway, they also want an exorbitant amount of money for the steering column part, around $2100 (even without labour), which is crazy in itself as the OEM part costs $600 or so and the job of switching it is like 1 hour max. I think BMW does this to scam the insurance companies as normally the end customer won't pay for it.

I too found the columns used in good condition (from cars the same milage as mine) for around $300, including the ELV, so one option for me is to just get a used one as you suggest and let an indie swap it out. But yes I heard the CAS on the pre-2009 E90's is part of the problem so in your case, you might just end up in the same situation again if you do it I guess. Swap it and then sell the car
Appreciate 0