sfinxvc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Right from the first Link

Base audio

The "base" audio system has been around since the early days, although it only made it to the US in 2010.

It uses four channels of deck power (yes, that's right, good old 50Wx4 when lightning strikes, 18Wx4 if you're charitable, and 12Wx4 if you do the actual 12V math into 4 ohms and 1% THD).

The front channels drive:

- 6.5" woofers underseat in 8" frames and molded plastic enclosures. The underseat enclosures are identical for all systems. There is uncertainty regarding whether the duct connecting the enclosure to another chamber in the frame is actually a tuned port, or simply a funny-shaped sealed box. The woofer is not crossover-filtered. The only things taking mids and highs out of the audible output are the driver's own mechanical rolloff, and the acoustic filter formed by the seat and your rear end.

-4" mids in the door. These have a capacitor on them, acting as a high-pass crossover filter and also making the two-speakers-in-parallel a load the deck can handle.

The signal is heavily equalized to the front speakers, and has a subsonic filter around 40 hertz.

The rear channels drive only a pair of 4" mids in the back. This channel is high-pass crossover filtered around 160 Hertz, so connecting a subwoofer to it is a disappointing experience. It is also heavily equalized.

There is a low-current-output remote turn-on present with base audio systems, but it's not controlled by the radio play state. It turns on when the doors are unlocked and stays on for a while after ignition is turned off.

HiFi or Premium system

Some US folks call this the "base" system since it was the entry-level audio offered in the states until MY2010. This is a US-centric POV, though, and for clarity, let's call it the HiFI system.(It's HiFi in the service docs and Premium in the marketing lit).

This system is the easiest to perform performance-minded upgrades with, since it has flat, full-range analog outputs (two pair, front and rear). The processing and crossover-filtering happens in the HiFi amplifier (in the trunk, L rear corner, under the plastic snap-off plate in sedans and coupes, behind the cargo door and under a plastic bolt-on guard in wagons. There is a remote turn-on wire present at the amplifier, similar to the base audio system in operation.

Speakers

Front door mids and tweeters (highpassed between 100 and 160)

R door or deck mids and tweeters (ditto)

Underseat 8" flat woofers (low-passed around 100 to 160 with significant stopband output)

There is no center channel, and no rear effects speakers.
Hey ctuna, I appreciate this but it doesn't really answer my question...

It does sort of answer my 2nd question, which was whether I should be concerned about the stock HU if I add a tweeter in parallel from the door woofers. An answer is implied in this part...
"-4" mids in the door. These have a capacitor on them, acting as a high-pass crossover filter and also making the two-speakers-in-parallel a load the deck can handle."
The 1st question I'm afraid I'm no closer to answering...on the HiFi system, the door woofer has a connector for tweeters. I'm wondering if this connector is there for the base audio system as well, EVEN though it would be unused from the factory. Sometimes manufacturers find it cheaper to prep for different options even if they will go unused. This matters b.c. if I integrate a tweeter, I'll know whether I have to solder a direct connection or can just plug and play the tweeter.

If you know, let me know!

Last edited by sfinxvc; 05-11-2021 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0