View Single Post
      08-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
Thumbs up REVIEW: GP Thunder H3 Cornering bulb, LED License Plate, Painted Reflectors - E90 LCI

Its been a while since i've done any reviews. So i contacted E92-Lighting again for my exterior needs.

I will be reviewing:
1) GP Thunder 7500k H3 Cornering bulbs.
2) LED License Plate
3) Alpine White Painted Reflectors

Service, Packaging
Derrick and I communicate via PM. Albeit sometimes he may take a while to reply but he always pulls through and offers the best pricing on products.
Everything came neatly packed filled with "peanuts". To protect the paint on the reflectors, E92-lighting wrapped them in microfiber towels! a great way method indeed. Items are shipped through USPS first class mail and i got them in a timely manner in Canada.

------ 1) GP Thunder 7500k H3 Cornering bulbs. ------
Since day one, I've hated the H3 cornering bulb's stock yellow color. The cornering bulbs are extremely useful when driving but when it illuminates, the color does not match my LUX or HID's which is a big turnoff. I wanted to retain this cornering feature so i sought to replace the bulbs with whiter and bluer ones.

Stock (left). GP Thunder (right)

The install was simple enough, I just followed the DIY posted. the space is angled awkwardly there so its good advice to use needle nose pliers. took me 15 minutes for both sides first time around.

The light output is expected. nice white and blue. it matches my LUX and HID's nicely. gone is the ugly yellow. However, the brightness is slightly compromised. Before i had more light output but with these aftermarket H3's i get slightly less output. i think it could be the blue tint on the bulb. but i am still very satisfied with the color and it is a good compromise because these bulbs are still bright when lit.

BEFORE

AFTER

------ 2) LED License Plate ------
I was astounded when i saw how many individual LED's each replacement housing had. 24 LED's in each housing! compared to OEM only having 2 or 4. I have a feeling these would be blinding and i was right. I thought the stock ones were bright enough but these take it to the next level. Now when i reverse i can see the back even better with the aid of these bright LED license plate lights.

Build quality is very good. it also has a foam weather stripping surrounding the housing to prevent condensation and such. Color output is very nice. and when placed beside the stock one, the stock LED doesn't even look like its turned on.

The install is the most simple. the DIY is here. If you want you dont even need to use a screw driver. just use bare fingers to push and pull. DIY is here.

OEM (left), replacement (right). the OEM one doesn't even look lit when shone upon the license plate.

BEFORE

AFTER:
[IMG][/IMG]

oem (left). replacement (right)

------ 3) Alpine White Painted Reflectors ------
I didn't know these replacement reflectors were OEM parts! I was expecting all aftermarket reflectors to be taiwan made pieces. But these are a good deal guys considering its painted and its OEM and its pre-taped. what more can you ask for? The paint on this is good quality and seems like they painted a few coats of AW. these are just screaming quality.

Install is slightly more tricky but still completely DIY-able. I didn't remove my wheel. i just turned it full lock to one side and started working with a blow-dryer and a flat head as a prying tool. removing the stock reflectors is a bitch! the old tape is so stubborn and by the time i was done my fingers were sore from rubbing and peeling old residual tape behind the bumper. but this mod is very worth it. makes the car look so much cleaner. European guys are lucky they don't have to go through this.

peel back to reveal double-sided tape

Paint match is another key question here. granted no paint will match perfect and the reflectors are no different. I would say the paint match is around 85-90% for my car. you can tell its the reflectors are more "yellow" than my AW bumper. But all in all i'm satisfied as well. Paint match is less noticeable when viewed from a distance.

notice slightly off paint match

hard to tell when its further away.

Thanks E92-Lighting. don't PM me for pricing. PM E92-Lighting instead, he will ring up a quote for you. buy more save more