View Single Post
      01-29-2023, 06:55 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
The blown fuze is the 2nd from the right... I couldn't find anything that said "F02" or "2". I have a good multi-tester. There is zero resistance between that empty fuze socket and ground. None of those components has been worked on in the 2 yrs we have owned the car. ... So, how do I find the short?...brad
Hi Brad,
I would take the time to determine (with NO fuse in socket where fuse blew) if you have Battery Voltage at the other 4 fuses in that carrier when Ignition is ON. F01 through F04 are powered via the DME Main Relay, so we want to make SURE that is working.

Finding the short location is NOT going to be easy but I would Start at the MOST Likely, the Thermostat & Water Pump. While it is possible that there is an internal short in a component, in which case simply disconnecting the component will remove the Short, it is MORE likely that there is a wiring fault, so carefully examine the wires/harness visible in the area of the Connectors, such as T-Stat Connector & Water Pump Connector.

I will attach ISTA wiring diagrams and Connector Views to NEXT Post, so as NOT to destroy margins here. Generally, there are:
1) Six components on the F02 Fuse circuit, and their Connector/Socket#:
a) Coolant Pump: X6035/2, Orange Wire
b) Thermostat: X6279/1, Orange Wire
c) Intake Camshaft Sensor: X6214/3
d) Exhaust Camshaft Sensor: X6224/3
e) Intake VANOS Solenoid: X6275/1
f) Exhaust VANOS Solenoid: X6276/1

EACH has an Orange wire at the Connector & Socket identified above. For example, Coolant Pump Connector. is X6035, and the Orange Wire from F02 is Socket #2 in that connector (X6035/2). There is NO Connector View for T-stat connector X6279, OR for the VANOS Solenoid Connectors. Views of other connectors are attached to NEXT Post, along with Component Location for Sensors & Solenoids.

I also will attach the location of the Splice, X6964. I have NO IDEA if you can easily "open the wrapping" and separate those 6 wires. If you could, THAT would be the way to identify which of the 6 has the short. Never Done the job you are faced with. Hope it's something obvious & easy to access, like Pump/T-Stat Connector.
George
Appreciate 0