View Single Post
      09-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
I remember tracking our cars across the pond three years ago dpratt, funny. How has your car been reliability-wise?
Gunnnzzz, my spark plugs were just replaced about 2,000 miles ago so i'm good there. I'm confortable doing coil packs myself, that leaves injectors and intake valve cleaning. I would taek a stab at doing injectors myself, I understand that the injectors should be coded and that can be tricky finding a way to get that done without paying stealership fees. Have yet to look into cost of valve cleaning, but i'm pretty sure i'd steer clear of doing that job myself.

I'd love to start one of those inane tuner wars with one of my posts, but it seems like all of the common tunes have merits, and all of them have lots of proven miles...as well as people that have CEL, limp mode, engine problems. My primary reason for choosing COBB is their track record with Subarus. I know a number of people that have had years of relatively trouble-free operation with COBB, and they have been doing this for a long time. If it weren't for that, i'd be equally considering JB and PROcede (I know PROcede has a bit more proven record outside of BMW, and may be, at least from a tuner-theory perspective, a more sound approach at tuning).

Bro, I say take the stab at it and go for the tune. Our cars are notorious problems with or without tunes, depending on how the owner maintains the vehicle. If you're doing Oil changes at every 6-7k miles, plugs at every 25k ish miles, fluids at I'd say 50, and not tracking it every single damn day, you're fine. How much is a 3rd party / extended warranty? I honestly would say if its 3-4k save the money and pay out of pocket (if things do go bad) as stated HPFP and Turbos are already covered... (edit, you probably should get the walnut blasting done soon, since I see you're nearing 50k miles)
Appreciate 0