View Single Post
      01-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #35
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
Hey Zach. From what I've read on here, using compound like ultimate compound is a good starting place for removing swirls. Let's say I'm using a DA and the correct pad for the job. How many times can I put compound the pad before I have to use a different pad?

On the same topic, what is the correct way to wash my sponge pads so they're ready for use again?

Thanks
It depends... in general, compounding will remove more material than polishing, and therefore the pad will get dirtier quicker. We switch pads every couple of panels, but we have TONS of pads, so that is not a limiting factor.

I typically recommend a minimum of 3 pads for the compounding step on an average sized sedan. You should clean the pads using a pad cleaning brush or towel as you're working (often referred to as "cleaning on the fly") and you should switch to a new pad when your pad is too "gunked up" to produce the same results as a fresh pad would.

Once you're finished for the day, clean your pads thoroughly by rinsing with all-purpose cleaning and scrubbing, then rinsing with water and letting air dry.

Here are a couple of articles to reference:

Pad Cleaning During and After Polishing by Ivan Rajic
Ask-A-Pro: Cleaning Foam Buffing Pads by Chad Raskovich

Hope that answers your question!

Let me know what else I can do for you.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1