11-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #2739
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
If you have an MSD80/old turbos car, replace the turbos AND get the new software?
Theoretically yes, but 1. I think the wastegates will suffice, you don't need to change the whole turbos and 2. I doubt that BMW will do that if there is no wastegate rattle yet. After you are out of warranty, you're out of luck. I'd get warranty extension or not buy such a car.

Quote:
If you have an MSD80/new turbos car, then just get the software upgrade?
I think it will be a downgrade, not an upgrade, but yes. Remember: it has yet to be determined if the problem is completely fixed by this and the downgrade will only be available late 2008 or early 2009.

Quote:
If you have an MSD81/new turbos car, then just get the software upgrade?
BMW says that software for MSD81 does not need nor include the wastegate rattle fix and thus there is no lag with those cars. So why change the software? I think that MSD81 software is still not as up to snuff as was MSD80 with pre-v29.2. But because complaints of owners of newer cars are seldom, I doubt that there will be a downgrade option for MSD81 cars. Besides: downgrade to what? v29.2 was the first version for MSD81 anyway, or am I wrong?

You see: It's not so easy...
Appreciate 0