06-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #8
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
its not a bad move only issue I would say femme what I have seen re bore scope camera results is unless you’re 100% stable and take time to
check everything then you may not get the full picture usually we remove the rocker cover inspect for signs of guide famage(the main guide has a support or a slipper that maintains strength shall we say)usually this gets damaged drops down and it’s this that gets pummeld by the chain and ends up being loads of plastic debris laying in the sump that in tern gets caught in the pickup unit for the oil pump and the rest is well common on these I guess

We usually when we suspect anything end up removing the sump(1 gasket and 21 bolts)usually when you remove this you see the result

Sadly as photo bucket doesn’t work as it used too I cannot share photos burn I’ve got some horrors including huge guide debris and hydraulic valves that have literally broken apart when they are removed from the side of the block

If you have guide issues you’ll be replacing the guides all the bolts plus bottom sprocket crank bolt I would 100% as we do replace the oil pickup unit that connects to the oil pump plus don’t clean but replace the vanos solenoids timing of course would have to be undertaken but when done right when all the key parts bolts and timing is done when bolted back together the car goes on without any drama, we have seen guide jobs done more basically only replacing the basics only to once again have issues re oil pressure or chain related issue once again we cleared vanos solenoids before to help keep costs down after all the are £85+VAT each trouble is it’s not always long term successful and you could compromise the adjusters and at £316+VAT each the solenoids are the better option

Sounds hard but on these cars you seen to have to be too thorough to ensure nothing else takes place measure twice cut once seems the way forward but it’s never cheap
Could you tell us more about the Vanos solenoids - why do you say replace them and not clean them? In your experience should they be inspected/replaced at a certain mileage? or just when replacing the timing chain?

I ask this because I have issues with hesitation/misfire/no power under 2000rpm at times, but it runs perfectly above 2000rpm, so I suspect the VANOS solenoids could potentially be the cause, but I've never had any VANOS or timing related fault codes.