View Single Post
      10-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #142
TommyV9
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I did this job over the weekend too.

I did take off the charge pipe and the intake manifold. I did not remove the coolant pipe that blocks socket access to the last e10 bolt under the left side of the OFH. I had read a few places that it could be corroded and break and then I would be down for a couple days waiting for a part. I used an e10 wrench to loosen it. It was a little fiddly, but not too bad.

Bad news was when I pulled the beauty cover off the engine, I found oil in the center in some of the casting holes. Time for a valve cover gasket. After reading and consulting with some Tech buddies, I decided to buy a new valve cover. Looks more time consuming than the OFHG, but not too bad.

BTW, I did an oil change at the same time and when I started it up afterwards, it threw a couple codes and went into limp mode. Primary code was 2A7C - Intake Vanos Solenoid. It took a bit of searching, but found a Tech that commented that it is not uncommon to see this after doing the OFHG. Some debris gets loose and gets into the vanos solenoid and causes the code. Solution is to pull and clean the vanos solenoid and possibly replace. I pulled and cleaned mine and it cleared up the problem.
Appreciate 0