l8nit3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328XI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Without providing a 12v supply to the relay, you cannot fully test it.

There is no way around it; you have to learn about the wiring diagrams - the relevant circuits provided below:

You can see that fuse F7 (40A) provides power to the VVT relay K6319.
If it's good, you should find 12 volts at pin 6 of connector X6319 (Terminal 30 of the relay, I think), whether ignition is on or off.

When the ignition is on (key on, engine off), the DME should ground pin 4 (relay Terminal 85 I think) at the connector X6319 energizing the coil - you should hear a click from the relay.

Then you should find 12 volts at pin 2 (Terminal 87 of the relay, definitely). If you do, that part of the circuit is OK.

Start with that.
Thank you for including the diagrams.

Yes, it would seem that the relay works fine. I have tested following this video with a car battery as my 12v source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gIZ0weS7iU

From further searching, it would seem nearly all forum threads and youtube videos I can find relating to my specific error codes (2A3F, 2A77) end with: (in descending order of likelihood of being the issue)

-Eccentric shaft sensor (most likely, but i hope not)
-Actuator motor
-Burnt internal fuse in DME controlling VVT (I hope not)
-VVT adaptions incorrect due to bad programming or not clearing after update. (unlikely, but my honest hope lol)

Is there further diagnostics I can do to see which it may be? Or , am I even on the right track with those?

When viewing the VVT and comparing the actual from the 'sensed' angles, this is what i receive (picture attached) which makes me think the sensor is way out of wack.

I feel as though I may be getting close to having my pride and joy running again, but not sure of the next step to take.... and dont want to break something and go backwards.

again, this is all google knowledge so may not even apply to my situation.
Attached Images

Last edited by l8nit3; 05-31-2022 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0