View Single Post
      07-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
So you already have the race pipe then......?

I think I remember the volume of the existing egr valve vs the race pipe showing a reduction of 30% or so in volumetric flow. Moar air moar better.
I think Chief is asking if it is even worth messing with. He has the EGR block in place but wants to know if there are advantages to going to the race pipe or its equivalant.

FWIW, Chief firstly Hi, its been a long time since we spoke. I had a boost leak from the block off. It was charge air blowing out the opposite direction from the EGR out to atmosphere. I was one of the original 10 that got the ecotune ECU tune. Only they didn't exactly turn off the EGR function. So, everytime the EGR was opening to try to let exhaust gas in, the charge air coming from cold side pipe was making a psst psst noise. I saw a little oil film stuff with dirt on it at this same area. I wrote about this about 3 years~ish ago. You may have read that. Anyway, by going over to a AAR racepipe or bimmertune from Europe, you rule out 2 things. No chance of a trace of exhaust gas getting into your intake and no chance of boost leak at the same spot. Simplicity is beautiful to me. I painted my bimmertune a flat silver to look sort of "OEMish" to not attract attention of vehicle inspection people. The engine cover blocks this anyway though.

I would say there is no performance gain to note. I just like having the EGR cooler gone. This gives more room to work on other things such as a T/S change. Good luck
Appreciate 1