08-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

RB Turbo's N55 Turbo Upgrade, rounding the bases

Hey Guys,

Havent posted over here yet but I guess it is time. We are working on a full turbo upgrade for the N55 engine. This will be based off of the Internally Wastegated Twin Scroll Borg Warner EFR turbo with options of 550, 650, and 750hp; which should satisfy most anyones goals with this platform.

There will be unknowns, of course, with this engine and how it can handle the extra airflow (power). It may not hold together with the larger options. We just will not know until it is tried and proven, that said an upgrade like this will not be for the faint of heart- although we have high hopes that the smallest option will work out well and be a great recipe for a terrifically fun car in pretty much every category. Just wanted to put that out there, as until it is done it is an unknown.

Anyway, the design and battle plan is figured out. Hopefully it all looks good and all of the concepts pan out in reality. We will have to see but again have high hopes.

We are working on machining all of the fittings, flanges, and the turbo is on hand as well. We have done some mocking up and like what we see with the fitment, and the manifold design is going to be very elegant as well. Installation, servicing, performance; has all been considered and we believe the setup will be one that is extremely sought after thanks to a simple yet effective modular design (which requires some very cool machined parts). The prototype kit will be using the smallest option of 550hp, and will likely be kicking out close to that at the wheel.

Anyway, here are a couple teaser shots. Will post more updates as things come along... but I will say I have not been this excited for quite a long time. This option for the N55 is going to be something very very extraordinarily cool.

The kit should be fairly affordable. We will do the best we can to keep it that way. But keep in mind the turbo cost itself starts at around $2400, so it will only go up from there. A bonus is that since this kit is not a hybrid solution, you will not have a need to send in your original turbo or be charged a core charge. You can either sell it to recoup some funds or keep it for if you ever wanted to go back to stock.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 1