View Single Post
      11-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #138
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

From my observations the Wastegate Arm Shaft (Rod, Axle) is wearing abnormally too. That may not have been the case with yours, but its something I've seen. The shaft definitely is a much harder material, but that's not helping it entirely. Tightening up the bushing tolerance is definitely a good start though. As for the Wastegate Flapper (Valve, Seat), there is some wear there as well. This is from a misaligned Wastegate Arm that causes the Flapper to not evenly seal against the Turbine housing, and in turn places alot of stress and wear on a given area. Over time, that can cause abnormal wear on that area which damages the turbine housing. Again, you may have caught yours early enough and the wear could've been unnoteworthy... but that will not be the case all of the time.

Just wanted to toss in my $.02.

Thanks,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The problem with the wastegate wear is not the rod itself, it's the bush that the rod goes through. With the heat cycling and soaking that is in the turbo, that bush starts to deform and wear quickly, allowing the wastegate rod to travel sideways and thus getting worn and stuck. If the bush is redesigned and the wastegate crank modified to suit, then the longevity will be much much greater. There is no problem with the wastegate seat diaphragm itself - all it is is the wear of the bush as the pictures of my turbo show.

Turbo Dynamics have addressed this issue by remanufacturing the crank bush with a completely new insert.
Appreciate 0