10-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #39
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
the guy I have been dealing with at bmw said that clip in the pic has a resistor on the other side.

They said it might have something to do with a previous piggyback; maybe JB4. Which matches what Joe from TGS said to me as well - some sort of bypass to stop comms while not in the stock map.

I will find out in a couple hours whether it is the culprit.
Mystery

Kinda doubt the JB4 explanation - I ran JB4 with back-end flash for some time - never heard of anyone doing anything like this. Why would anyone want to "stop comms" for any reason? JB4 of course completely eliminates OBDII access to the DME when it is active (in any map other than Map 0).

CAN bus runs to devices are typically terminated with resistors to insure (short explanation) that signals are not 'reflected' and back-propagated from the cable ends. The run to the OBDII port is short and of course, there is no device there normally so no resistors. Your CAN bus is clearly functioning OK because you are able to connect with WinKFP and ISTA so the question is why/how this resistor should affect the inspection stations ODBII connection.

OBDII is a 'higher level' protocol that can connect using several different methods of communication (CAN bus is a method of communication). I wonder if someone connected something to one of the other OBDII connector pins that is confusing the inspection machine into attempting to connect with a non-CAN method of communication (i.e. K-line or J1850).

Again, a mystery - sure hope surgery resolves the issue
Appreciate 0