07-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #1168
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
Exactly! Certain BMW enthusiasts are going to keep this car on their radar.

Everybody knows there's nothing special about the engine...it's a good engine though. I disagree on the 6MT not being special enough. You know 6MT's are a dying breed. From what I understand, there were a total of 1990 RWD E91 wagons offered in the U.S. 152 of those are M-Sport. 49 of those are 6MT. How many of those 49 are still on the road? Sorry, but those numbers alone on an overall fantastic chassis make for a desirable car even though it's not an M powerhouse.
Agreed 100%. The E91 is a solid all-rounder and had low production numbers.

Even the best optioned E39 540i M Sport Tourings (which didn't even come in a stick!) still hold value even with their numerous faults: timing chain guides, SLS, and electrical gremlins like the instrument cluster and radio displays. They had similarly low production numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
That is exactly my point...and why it's time to liquidate into the mania. It won't last no matter what the numbers. We've already seen bubble blowoffs in numerous German cars in this current manic environment like the early 911/911S craze of 2012-2014, early 930s 2013-2015, etc, and the spillover emotions driving the pricing of all of these explosive pricing moves don't exist at low risk times since all markets are pricing the future with essentially zero risk right now. Hence the reason crazy stuff happens that is always capable of being justified during such periods.

It's just an observation for a non-car-centric point of view as a fund manager. If I'm the only one that holds such an opinion, that only reinforces the observation of the bubblishness of this market at this point in time. If it was tradeable, it's not time to short it yet, but definitely a time to liquidate longs into the bids.
I don't think most owners view their nicely optioned E91 as an investment, at least I don't. I bought mine because I like it. I put around 5k miles on my 'nice weather daily' annually so it'll be nice if it holds value but I won't alter my driving usage to try to maximize my return in the event I decide to sell it.

I believe the inflated numbers on ideally optioned E91's will remain high due to two factors: 1. There is no modern replacement from BMW. 2. Very limited production numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4151zero View Post
I hate to say it, but this thread makes me want to sell mine!
It will sell well but likely won't fetch crazy numbers with AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
I understand fetching a premium, but $40k? That’s the mania he’s talking about. For $10-15k less I doubt anyone would be arguing the point.

Just curious, why wouldn’t you consider a swap? Is it the resale value? The worry that it wasn’t done right? (It isn’t rocket science.) Which kind of begs the question: are people buying these primarily for investment purposes? That’s just something that’s never made sense to me. Not for an E91 at least, which doesn’t offer the requisite driving experience or “magic” to warrant these premiums. The appeal of these to me is the combination of utility (first and foremost) and driving enjoyment.
Bingo. I don't think anyone is buying these to sit on as an investment. I can see originality affecting value 10-20 years down the line if they are even still desirable.

Another option is to buy one from Europe and import it. I believe as long as you import one with the same engine available here you're in the clear. These cars are a dime a dozen in Germany.
Appreciate 1