02-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Talk about convincing yourself of marketing hype Mike, think it's more to do with keeping costs down, they're being a bit tight with the 1M when you start to look closely.
The M3 is available in a choice of both gearboxes but DCT seems to be the preferred option and the one that holds the best value. I think options for the customer are the key words here.

Personally when you've got a petrol engine with a turbo on it, then I think the manual/dual clutch debate is that much closer and harder to seperate simply because of the torque factor and power delivery of the car.

Interesting figures posted by jimmlad though. I reckon the whole 'sensation' of the cars attaining those figures way may feel quite different.
Spot on Helen - DCT only adds 25 kg to the car and on a 1500+ kg 1M the weight issue is moot. The reason the 1M is not available with M DCT is because the car has been developed very fast and on a tight budget and also a 1M with this transmission would be uncomfortably close to a manual M3's performance.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0