View Single Post
      08-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
scienceguy
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

OK, the baby is now here, and mother and baby are doing well.

I finally got around to clearing the error codes, and the car seems to run well now (I've only test driven it about 2 miles). No more half-engine of death. But I get the same code I did previously:
28A0 Throttle-valve angle - intake-manifold pressure, correlation: Limit value exceeded

I've read elsewhere on this board that code can essentially be ignored. But it seems to me if everything were truly working properly I should not get any such code. I don't want to just throw money at it, but I might try the next thing on the list the indy shop suggested - the throttle body. They are available used on eBay for not too much (maybe ~$50-65), so I could try that and not be out too much. Of course a brand new one would completely eliminate the throttle body as a variable, but they are $250 or more, $500 for a BMW one).

But before I do that I probably need to put a few more miles on the car. Since I am home on paternity leave right now I am not driving much, so it will take a little longer than usual to build up a few miles. I really want to see if it idles smoother, starts quicker (no long cranks), and comes down from higher RPM without fluctuating. If those symptoms reappear, I will likely go the throttle body route.

I am going to keep this car for a while, even though it has about 110,000 miles on the clock. So I want to make sure I keep it in top shape.

The indy shop did a smoke test to verify there is no vacuum or other leak contributing to the issue. Does a throttle body seem like the next logical step in the diagnosis?
Appreciate 0