Thread: Who is a pilot?
View Single Post
      11-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #96
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks!
I think it's really col that my family has such a deep history in aviation.

Until recently, I had not considered flying because I thought it just out of my financial abilities, but my Dad just bought this SWEET little 1956 Ercoupe for 14 grand, 55 hours on a fresh engine, and we've been flying together every weekend, but he just flew back to Phoenix where he winters.

I've flown RC planes my whole life. My friends and I fly dynamic soaring, where our (used to be 6 pounds) 120 inch span model gliders (unpowered sailplanes) now weigh 65 pounds, and we hold the world speed record for ALL model aircraft, even model jets. In fact, we are 200mph faster than the fastest model jets. The record today stands at 505mph! Youtube "Dynamic Soaring world record" and it'll bring up vids of what we do. It's truly amazing. These are sustained speeds, planes sustaining constant 100G's!
I've also flown powered RC planes, flew pattern aerobatics, Giant Scale 3D (hovering on the prop, super crazy big scale planes), flying has been a bigger, longer dream than owning a Pantera. When my Dad bought his Ercoupe, it hit me, "I can do this too!" so up went the ads for the Pantera, and I'm taking lessons now, and in a month or 2 I'll have my light sport license, and I'll be shopping for a plane.
Dream to dream, I guess that's how my life goes.
Appreciate 0