View Single Post
      06-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #21
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

So I finally got out on the track this year. I recently bought a 2017 M2 to replace my 2013 328i (original owner), but all my driving friends recommended I use the 328i for track learning purposes since there's less power, more linear delivery, and less cost if I total it.

My first track day was at Atlanta Motorsports Park, and honestly me and the 328i didn't do so great. My 2 year old valve cover gasket started leaking again, the pedals weren't close enough for consistent heel/toe downshifts, and my 2 year old Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ tires felt pretty sketchy. I spent most of the day in 3rd gear (to avoid shifting) trying to learn the line and practice giving point-bys...lots of those since I was pretty much the slowest guy out there. My confidence was pretty low after my first day, and I wasn't too enamored with the 328i. I started thinking about selling it.

Before my second track day at Road Atlanta, I replaced the valve cover gasket (again), installed some bimmerworld extended pedal covers, bought some Piloti driving shoes, and installed a fresh set of Michelin PS4S's. All of those improvements made the experience at Road Atlanta WAY better, even though it's a scarier track for a newbie. My heel/toe shifting was much more consistent, the new summer tires felt predictable and fantastic, and I wasn't worried about leaking oil the whole time.

Overall, it seems like my 328i has plenty of performance for me to explore and grow into. However, some of the more experienced drivers at the track recommended I consider swapping for a more focused and cheaper track car like a Miata or BRZ. I still love my bimmer though, so I think I'll hold on to it for a while longer.

sidenote: got to ride on the track in a G80 M3. Braking and overall speed were impressive. Grill wasn't attractive to me in person, and the exhaust note was too quiet for me to really hear.
Biginboca3763.50