View Single Post
      02-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35to330i View Post
Yes, I have the L7 system (with the fiber optic connection from front to rear) and my plan was to replace the HU, run new sets of RCA's to the trunk and install 3 amps (2x 4ch and 1x 2ch) and then just splice into the factory wiring to the speakers. I know that I'll lose the factory bluetooth and SOS feature (I don't even know if I can use the SOS feature since i'm not the original owner and it has > 50k miles), but I'm not aware of anything else that I'll lose. If you know of other things I'll lose I'd love to hear it so I can make an informed decision.

Aside from that I think the L7 system sounds horrible.
From the research that I've done, in addition to the above you will lose all chimes and gongs in the car - i.e. the seatbelt chime, the "low outside temp" warning, "door open", "engine fault", etc. This may not be a big deal for you, though.

If you really mean to go all out on the audio install, then you can certainly get a much better sounding system. But I'm not sure I understand your channel breakup logic (i.e., why 2x 4ch and 1x 2ch). What are your plans for the stock speakers and subs?